Monday, October 5, 2009

What are friends for?

We've been meeting a lot of people as we live. We usually meet our parents and siblings at first. As we grow up, we meet a lot of friends in the neighborhood or in the school. Not all the people we meet become our friends, though. As I mentioned before, people have many different types of personalities. Some people are so easy to go on conversations with that it's possible to talk to each other all day if both have enough time. Why is that? It might be because both people have lots of common topics. Or they might have similar style of personality. The way of their thinking might be almost the same. In contrast, I feel that some people are not that easy to talk about. They seem to have very different way of thinking, so they usually don't support what I say and don't understand how I feel in the certain situation. What kind of person do you prefer to make as a friend? I prefer the former, actually. I would tell my concern to the former and get some comfort from them rather than telling it to the latter who might think I'm stupid because I have such a concern which is not worth worrying about for them.

However, that kind of people are also good friends. They just have a different point of view, which does not mean that they hate me. They often help me to see myself in another perspective so as not to become self-righteous. Nobody wants to hear something bad about oneself, but friends indeed might be the people who are willing to say their friends' faults to their friends franky. To be honest, I really don't like to hear something bad about me, but I think I need to be more generous about candid advice.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A friend is more than just easy-to-talk person who has a similar personality. Even if you found a person like that, you could find something very naturally exotic sides in the deepest part of his mind.

    The most especial element of friendship is trust, I think.
    If I don't trust 100% he says, he is not my friend but just someone I know.

    But, that's totally my point of view. It seems that everyone has different concept about the word, friends. And I think that self-constructed concept defines the person's relationship with others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, you're also right. I think it's hard to define what a friend is like in one word, but it's certain that it is always pleasant to talk to the people I like:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you're right about sometimes needing to hear the bad things about yourself. There's a phrase in English: you have to be cruel to be kind. I think that's true sometimes.

    R

    ReplyDelete